Pahadi Turmeric has traditionally been used on wounds, and ‘Haldi doodh’ is widely consumed in India when someone has a fever and cough. It is because turmeric has exceptional healing properties, and it has been used from times immemorial.
Turmeric has an aromatic yellow rhizome and comes from the Ginger family. It is dried and crushed to get Turmeric powder, a spice used in almost every Indian household. Apart from physical benefits, turmeric also has religious significance in Indian culture.
Himalayan Turmeric or Pahadi Haldi can be distinguished from the common hybrid Haldi. A deep golden-orange colored root, Pahadi turmeric has a strong flavor, a strong earthy smell, and a slightly different color.
Cultivated in the hilly regions of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, Himachali Turmeric is 100% organic, natural and unadulterated. Out of 38 varieties of turmeric plants in India, three are grown in Himachal.
Unlike hybrid turmeric, which takes only 9 months to harvest, the organic turmeric or kachi Haldi grown in the Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh takes up to around 3 years. With absolutely no use of pesticides or harmful chemicals, farmers usually cultivate it in 3-4 kg batches for personal use. This Haldi is tested by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories- NABL and is famous for its fine quality.
The Nutritional Values of Pahadi Haldi
Turmeric (Curcuma longa) grown in the hills is reported to have high curcumin content. Haldi with curcumin content lower than 4% is not considered suitable for export. The higher the curcumin content, the better the quality.
A tablespoon of turmeric powder contains essential minerals like- potassium, iron, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorus, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), calcium, zinc, magnesium, and copper. It also renders-
- 29 calories
- 0.91 grams of protein
- 2 grams of fiber
- 6 grams of carbohydrates
- 0.3 grams of sugar
Turmeric Benefits on Health
- The presence of curcumin provides its characteristic color to turmeric and has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, and is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure. According to some studies, curcumin can also help reduce the risk of cancer. In the case of breast cancer, several studies show that curcumin tends to slow down the spread of cancer cells in the body.
- It is known to relieve the enfeebling effects of arthritis. However, it should be kept in mind that it can not be used as an alternative to the medicines prescribed for arthritis treatment.
- The clotting property of turmeric helps to stop the blood oozing out of a wound, and its antibacterial quality protects the wounds from internal infections. It also provides quick relief from the pain.
- When consumed daily in the right quantity, it can help strengthen the immune system and help recover from illness faster.
- Applying its paste on your skin or consuming it in food or drinks reduces blemishes and acne and gives you brighter and healthy skin.
- Compounds likecurcumin and bioactive help lower the risk of brain diseases like Alzheimer’s and improve memory.
- Due to the sedentary lifestyle, heart attacks and strokes have become very common. Consumption of turmeric reduces the level of bad cholesterol in arteries and prevents heart diseases.
Different Ways to Consume Turmeric
Turmeric is an essential ingredient that can be easily used in food. It can be eaten in raw form, as a powder, or freshly grated form. The intake of turmeric in vegetable curries is the easiest and most common way of consuming it.
Up to 2000 mg of curcumin is considered safe to be consumed by the body. Since it is not possible to take the exact amount required by your body through food only, some people also take turmeric tablets.
You can consume Himalayan Haldi in liquid form, too, for example, by mixing turmeric powder in milk. When consumed daily, it has excellent effects on the skin and body, both internally and externally. Also, the nutrients are better absorbed with Haldi.
The Bottom Line
The benefits of organic Himalayan turmeric are widely known. It usually does not have any harmful side effects, but its intake in a ‘higher than necessary’ amount can cause mild discomforts like upset stomach, diarrhea, nausea, or dizziness. However, it is safe to apply to the skin or use as a mouthwash daily.
kachi Haldi consumption should be watched out for in pregnancy, gall bladder problems, and while breastfeeding. You are always advised to consult a medical practitioner to know the recommended quantity.